Things I Learned: 2010-04
I know it has been a while since one of these. I have not learned much.
- The clothing line Nautica was started by a Taiwanese-American. [source]
- “Ventile” is a British-made cotton textile that is so densely woven it is waterproof. Invented during WWII during because flax was rationed. [source]
- President Reagan had a huge affinity for jelly beans, kept a jar of them on his desk in the Oval Office. He was turned onto them after quitting smoking. [source]
- contretemps – n. an awkward or difficult situation or mishap [source]
- pulchritudinous – adj. Characterized by or having great physical beauty and appeal [source]
- sobersides – n. slang. a humorless or habitually serious person [source]