Things I Learned 2010-10
- philatelies – n. the collection and study of postage and imprinted stamps, stamp collecting [page 125, Lush Life by Richard Price]
- giving dap – n. a form of handshake and friendly gesture that has recently become popular in western cultures, i.e. a fist bump [page ?, Id.] [more info]
- Gargling with salt water does indeed mitigate cold symptoms, settling a decade-long argument with my mother [source: NY Times]
- bottled out – v. slang, UK. to lose courage [source]
- reliquary – n. a container or shrine in which sacred relics are kept [source]
- perspicacious – adj. having keen mental perception and understanding; discerning: to exhibit perspicacious judgment. [source: someone at a bar, yes wtf]
- In NYC, cars must be parked at least fifteen (15) feet from a fire hydrant. [the goddamn hard way] [src: official]
- appellation – n. a name, title, or designation.
- Rabelaisian – adj. “to be totally outrageous, raunchy, crude in every way, absolutely stubborn in matters of truth, relentless against hypocrisy, and against all forms of popular opinion; but, also, in a more profound way, it means AXIOM BUSTING.” [encountered] [source]
- chinoiserie – adj. a French term, signifying “Chinese-esque”, refers to a recurring theme in European artistic styles since the seventeenth century, which reflect Chinese artistic influences.
- I hate everything “chinoiserie”.
Leave a Reply