Sorry for the post-facto posto. I might be losing the heart to keep doing this crap.
- Korean chopsticks were made of silver initially to discourage assassination, as silver may tarnish in contact with poison in food. [wikipedia]
- Adventures in laughably inadequate Wikipedia entries: “Etiquette in Asia”
- skeuomorph – a derivative object which retains ornamental design cues to a structure that was necessary in the original. e.g. such as copper cladding on zinc pennies or computer printed postage with circular town name and cancellation lines.
- Writer Jonathan Safran Foer was originally studying pre-med at Princeton. On a whim, he took a creative writing workshop. His instructor, Joyce Carol Oates, was so impressed, she wrote a letter to his parents telling them he was literary gifted. [source]
- emetophobia – an intense, irrational fear or anxiety pertaining to vomiting [wikipedia]
- Former starlet Denise Richards is emetophobic. [source]
- kummerspeck – German phrase for “weight put upon by emotional eating”. Literally translates to: “grief bacon”. [source: Laci]
- Rupert Murdoch has an Asian wife that has a very upwardly mobile history of marrying white men. [says: nymag, vanity fair, and telegraph]